4.16.2014

Please Sign Here

I came across this story online. It makes me melancholy.


Then I learned many schools have done this, including my own state. Has yours?

I get it. There are so many demands on teachers. So many expectations they are required to teach and meet for their students (and themselves) to be considered successful. I can see why cursive handwriting is no longer a focus. Technology is.

But for some reason, it makes me sad.

What will happen to million-dollar autographs, love letters, please sign here, ransom notes ...

Reading, mathematics, and critical thinking do outweigh penmanship skills, but I hate to think of a world without personal marks. Before we write off cursive completely, consider this.

Perhaps handwriting will become an elective - only for students who are succeeding in other courses - or whose parents take the time at home to teach them.

Or like the futuristic Matched series I recently read will it become a lost art? Those who can write will keep it secret?

I guess we're moving into the future. What do you think about handwriting being a thing of the past?




1 comment:

  1. I think it's sad. So much of ourselves is hidden in those swoops and swirls--a way to identify yourself much like the sound of your voice or a photo of yourself. I think it is so sad that the hand-written letter has gone by the wayside. To think I still have every love letter my husband wrote me in our dating days. It's just so sad. I think our kids are really missing out. what will they save--emails? texts? tweets? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid. I won't bite.